Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Household products you should avoid… And how to replace them naturally {Part I}


Hello everyone! Hope you all are having a great week!  
People ask me all the time if the traditional cleaning and household products are really dangerous. The answer is definitely: Yes!  There are some items we use at home and don't realized how bad they are for our health. So here we go with the first one:

Air Refreshener

Let me start with a story, this is what happened to me… Many years ago I went to my friend's house and her home smelled really nice so I asked her what she used. She showed me a plug-in air refresher, so I got one immediately. BIG mistake! After a couple of weeks I couldn't understand why my daughter was just fine outside, at school, at the park, even in allergy season. But as soon as we got home she would start sneezing and got congested. I was like "this is so weird". Then it clicked me that this symptoms started just when I got the plug-in refresher so I checked what was inside this product and got rid of it as soon as I could.

According the EPA (Evironmental Protection Agency) the main ingredients in air refreshers are: formaldehyde, petroleum distillates, p-dicholrobenzene and aerosol propellants.

Formaldehyde:  exposure to this chemical may cause respiratory symptoms and eye, nose and throat irritation. 

Petroleum distillates: The exposure to this chemical may also cause eye, nose, throat irritation and also dizziness, drowsiness, headache, nausea, dry skin, 

p-Dicholrobenzene: Exposure to this chemical may cause irritation to the eyes, skin and throat. Chronic exposure may be more harmful as it may result in effects in the liver.

Aerosol propellants: This is a type of dispensing system. Basically the liquid is under pressure allowing to get out only in small amount or mist. If it's near fire or high temperature it could exploit.

Now the good news… You can replace it with an all natural air refresher using only TWO ingredients: Water and essential oil.

You will need:
Distill water
Essential oil
A spray bottle



1. Mix distill water with 15 to 20 drop of your favorite essential oil
2. Shake


3. You already have your Natural Air Refresher


Yes, it is that easy :)


Do you have an idea to make your own air refresher?  Please share it with us, we all would love to learn from you!

Thanks for reading!

xo,
Marcela



No comments:

Post a Comment